Thursday, October 29, 2009

Beautiful Boy Entry Two

David Sheff continues to take readers on the hard and long journey of what life is like for his teenage son Nic. The way that Sheff describes Nic's teenage I found particularly interesting because the reader would find it enjoyable since Sheff tends to write the experiences that Nic has went though with drugs, and even if you had not had to deal with an experience with drugs, you were still able to understand the point that David was trying to make. David's message that he is trying to send to teenagers throughout describing Nic's teenage years is to try to realize that you should not always participate in activities that all of your friends are doing that you as an individual need to make the conscience decision of whether you want drugs to be apart of your life or not, and you need to decide if you will constantly associate with people who will hinder the amount of peer pressure or if you leave those friends behind and try to find a group that will support you no matter who you are.

Not only is the way that David Sheff uses his own son's experience with drugs a way that he tries to connect with the readers in the book, but also David tries to relate back to the parents of the teenagers who are experiencing drug addiction as well. How Sheff does this is he explains the internal conflict he experiences when he finds that his son was experiencing marijuna at the age of twelve. What causes Sheff to experience an intenral conflict is because he is torn about having to make the decision of whether or not to tell his son about his own drug addiction and how it had effected his life. He even goes as far as to question whether or not he should have moved to America explaining "I have never fantasized that any American suberb or exurb or country town, no matter how remote, is far enough away to be untouched by the perils most often associated with inner cities, but I thought that towns like Inverness must be safter than the Tenderloin." When explaining how he is confused of whether or not to tell his son about his own drug addiction, he says "I blame my hypocrisy. It makes we wince. How can I tell him not to use drugs when he knows thst I have? 'Do as I say I say and not as I did.' I tell him that I wish I hadn't used them. I tell him about friends whose lives were ruined by them. And meanwhile, in my mind, as always I blame the divorce. I tell myself that many children of divorce do all right and many children in inact families don't. Regardless, there is no way to undo what I know would be the most traumatic event of Nic's life." It now becomes evident through David's words that clearly he wants Nic to not experience this hardship, but there is nothing he can't do because he is unable to control all aspects of his life.

Stay tuned for more!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment