Thursday, December 10, 2009

The Last Song Entry Four

Ronnie and her father's relationship seems to develop into a friendly one. After Ronnie decides that she does not want to hang out with Blaze and her group, she begins to then try and spend time with her father. That night, Ronnie decides to sleep outside and watch over a nest of a rare species of turtles that are on the beach. The reader may seem surprised that Ronnie has such a deep affection for animals, since it seems as if Ronnie really does not seem to have much care for anyone or anything. Ronnie clearly seems to not want to make friends with anybody else in town. This is demonstrated by Will, who is the volleyball player that hit volleyball at her, which caused another person's drink to spill all over her clothes. Will seems interested in trying to be friends with Ronnie because he constantly thinks about her and he is intrigued by the way she is always assertive. Ronnie truly though has no intention of being friends with him...she didn't even him her name when he asked! Ronnie seems to be the type of girl who really does not want to be friends with anybody and she simply just wants to go through life on her own. Ronnie seems to have a difficult time expressing the type of person she is throughout the book, which I wonder if that is due to all the problems she had with her father......

Nicholas Sparks really does a excellent job at showing how a family is coping with a divorce. I really though would love to see what is going through the mother's mind as her children are with their father. I think that this would make the novel very interesting because the reader could then have another insight added to the book. Also, I would like to see more of Will's personality developed deeper because I find it confusing to get to know him and see what type of person he is. Other than that, Sparks does a overall fantastic job at developing Ronnie, Steven and Jason. The reader can clearly see throughout the novel that Steven is truly upset that he has not been there for his children. I find it interesting how Ronnie and Steven were unable to get along for most of the novel even though they both share a common interest in playing the piano. Ronnie had quit playing the piano, and Steven seems to play on the piano every time that Ronnie and him get into a fight. Symbolically, I think that Steven represents everything that Ronnie lost once he left, such as her love for life and others and her passion for playing the piano. Could Steven be the one that brings Ronnie back and will allow her to see that her real talent lies in playing the piano??

The pacing of book seems to be holding my interest well. However, sometimes I find that there is too much description added when it is not needed. For the most part, I think this book is very touching and should be recommended to readers who enjoy a heart warming stories. The topics that Nicholas Sparks explores in this novel is so widely discussed today that so many people will be able to relate to the book.

2 comments:

  1. Kristen, I love how much detail you put into your blogs! I don't have to even read the book to know what happens in it. Then again, now if I read the book I'll get bored cause I'll know exactly what's going to happen... But everything has good and bad to it. That reminds me, I think you should add more emotions into your blog entry. I mean, I get that you did in fact interpret the book in your own way and you did in fact say what you like about the book and what you don't like, but where's the emotion behind it? When are you happy, sad, angry, etc for one of the characters or about something that's happened in the book? How do you REALLY feel about it Kristen?

    ReplyDelete
  2. TREEC ESSAY!!! I'm just messin'. You have great ideas and I can tell that you are deep into this book. Unfortunatly I'm really not into this kind of books, but from what have told me about it, it sounds like a great read. Who knows I might read it some day, who knows what the future holds? You forgot to write "give" into the sentence, "she didn't even [give] him her name when he asked!" Yeah just letting you know, but over all very good. If you would hold this up to one of my freaking blog entries, it would make it look like the Empire State Building next to the Village Hall building. Good luck with your book and with meeting your reading goal.

    ReplyDelete